UTZ Certified is an organization founded in 2002 acting for the worldwide implementation of sustainable farming of coffee, cocoa and tea crops.
UTZ developed a program and a label for sustainable farming worldwide, aiming to help build a better future. The program allows farmers to learn better farming methods, improve working conditions and take better care of their children and the environment.
The UTZ label is featured on more than 10,000 different product packages in over 116 countries. Since 2014, UTZ has been the largest program for sustainable farming of coffee and cocoa in the world. It covers good agricultural practices, social and living conditions, farm management, and the environment.
UTZ is the largest sustainability program in the world for coffee. In 2012, 9% of the coffee produced in the world was UTZ certified.
The criteria of the UTZ Code of Conduct fall into 4 categories:
- Farm Management
- Farming Practices
- Social and Living Conditions
The requirements of the Chain of Custody are focussing on traceability and the use of the UTZ certified logo on consumer facings:
- A full product traceability system for maintaining the Chain of Custody. Including input, output, identification, separation, recording and labeling.
- Individual and group certification is possible.
- Chain of Custody Certification Methodology, including mass balance registration in the database of UTZ and the use of the logo on the consumer products.
- By supporting the UTZ program, your brand will contribute to the development of sustainable agricultural supply chains. Being UTZ certified entails that your company is actively caring about your coffee/cocoa /tea sourcing and making it sustainable, ethical and environment friendly.
- Joining an internationally renowned certification scheme shows your customers a commitment to both people and the environment.
- Labeling your products as UTZ certified attracts socially conscious buyers, retailers and consumers.
Certima B.V. is providing UTZ auditing and certification services under the accreditation of a partner organization.