The MSC Chain of custody standard is developed by MSC and ensures that MSC-labeled seafood comes from, and can be traced back to, a sustainable fishery.
The MSC Chain of Custody Standard contains requirements for:
- A full product traceability system for maintaining the Chain of Custody. Including input, output, identification, separation, recording and labeling.
- No requirements for a management system, although MSC encourages the implementation of a HACCP based management system.
- Chain of Custody Certification Methodology, including mass balance registration in the database of MSC and the use of the logo on the consumer products.
The Chain of Custody Standard is a traceability standard that covers all bodies along the chain.
The MSC Chain of Custody Standard applies to producers, owners and others alike. Each member of the supply chain that claims ownership of the product or transforms the product must be certified up to the point of the product entering its final, consumer-ready packaging. The distinctive blue logo indicates the supply chain has been independently assessed and the product identified has been produced by reliable fisheries. The Chain of Custody can give you the competitive edge in the marketplace, since product-conscious buyers would be more inclined to purchase a product that has been certified.
The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) have partnered to share the Chain of Custody Standard. This means you can have one certification audit that covers both MSC and ASC products.
The MSC and ASC labels are an effective tool to communicate sustainability to seafood consumers. Your company must sign a license agreement if you wish to use any of the MSC’s and/or ASC’s trademarks on any materials that will be seen by the end consumers or by business customers for promotional purposes.
Certification to the MSC Chain of Custody Standard enables your organization to:
- Demonstrate that your products originate from a sustainable fishery.
- Meet consumer demand for product sourcing information.
- Ensure a sustainable and secure food chain.
- Support the positioning of your product with the eco-label.
- Meet retail demand for verification of sustainably sourced products.
- Trade with leading retailers and retail chains that require MSC certification.
Certima B.V. is providing the MSC Chain of custody auditing and certification services under the accreditation of a partner organization.